Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe – Without eggs and alcohol
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on December 8, 2021
Easy recipe for Fruit Cake made without egg and alcohol. It is also known as Plum cake. This fruit cake is loaded with dried fruits and nuts. The warm spices added to this cake makes it perfect for the holiday season.
Dry Ingredients :
- All-purpose flour: 1 1/2 cup
- Baking powder: 1 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground ginger: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg: 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cloves: 1/4 teaspoon
Wet Ingredients :
- Yoghurt: 1 cup
- Dark Muscovado sugar: 3/4 cup
- Honey: 2 Tablespoons
- Milk: 6 Tablespoons
- Oil: 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- Tutti frutti (candied papaya) : 1/4 cup
- Candied lemon and orange peels: 1/4 cup
- Dried Cranberries: 1/4 cup
- Dates (chopped): 1/4 cup
- Raisins: 1/4 cup
- Almonds (chopped): 1/4 cup
- Cashews (chopped): 1/4 cup
- Orange Juice: as needed
- Take all the ingredients listed under ‘To Soak’ in a bowl, pour orange juice just enough to cover them and let it soak at least for 2 hours. It can be soaked up to a day but inside the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / 160. Prepare the cake pan by greasing and flouring it.
- In a bowl, sift together all the ‘Dry Ingredients’ together and keep them aside.
- In another bowl, mix yoghurt and dark muscovado sugar well. Then add honey, milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now add the flour mixture little by little to the yoghurt mixture and mix well till they are fully combined.
- Now drain the soaked dry fruits and nuts and add them to the cake batter and mix till they are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 325 F / 170 C / 150 Fan / Gas mark 3 and bake for another 20 – 30 minutes till the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool for 5 minutes then remove from the cake pan and then let it cool completely. Then slice and serve.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9am to 2pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.