Masala Tea Powder Recipe
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on January 10, 2022
Indian chai masala powder recipe – homemade aromatic chai masala made with spices and lemongrass.
- 4 to 5 pieces of dry ginger (saunth) or ½ cup dry ginger powder
- 1.5 whole nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 10 grams small cardamom (green cardamoms) or 2 tablespoons green cardamoms
- 7 to 8 long cinnamon sticks
- 5 grams cloves or about 1 to 1.25 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper, optional
- ¾ cup chopped lemongrass, optional
- ½ cup dry rose petals, optional
- ½ cup dry holy basil (dry tulsi leaves), optional
First, grind the dry ginger.
Now grind the nutmeg.
Finely grind all the rest of the spices and herbs with the already ground ginger and nutmeg.
Store in an air-tight jar.
Use the chai masala, whenever you make chai.
Around ¼ teaspoon, chai masala is perfect for 2 cups of masala chai. Though you can add ½ teaspoon for a more spiced chai.
How to make basic chai masala:
- ¼ cup dry ginger powder
- 1 whole nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 20 grams green cardamoms (Choti elaichi)
- First, grind the nutmeg and cardamom. Take the finely ground spices in a bowl. Add the ground dry ginger powder. Mix very well. Store the simple and basic chai masala in an air-tight container.