POTATO SANDWICH RECIPE
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on February 2, 2022
This Potato can be eaten for breakfast, as a evening snack or give for kids lunch box.
- Few Bread slices ( I used wheat bread)
- Potato fry
- Grated cheese (optional) and
- Some oil
For the Potato fry-
- Medium White potato ( or any kind)- 4
- Green bell pepper- 1 chopped
- Green peas- ¾th cup ( I used frozen)
- Corn – ¼th cup ( I used frozen)
- Medium onion – 1 chopped
- Green chilly- 4 finely chopped or to taste
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Few coriander leaves for garnish
Tempering ingredients –
- 4 tsps of oil
- 1 tsp of chana dal
- ½ tsp of urad dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ th tsp of turmeric powder
- A pinch of hing.
Making the Potato Fry:
Boil potato till fork tender and keep on the side.
Take a pan to add 4 tsp of oil. When the oil gets hot add a tsp of mustard seeds. When the mustard starts popping add a tsp of chana dal, ½ tsp each of urad dal and cumin seeds. Fry for a few seconds.
Add the bell pepper, corn and green peas. Mix and close the lid. Cook for a few more minutes till all the veggies get soft.
Add the cooked cubed potato with the skin on. Slightly mash with the back of the spoon. Finally add the lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt. Cook for another five minutes and turn off the heat.
Making the Sandwich:
- If using a Sandwich maker- Take two bread slices, put some cheese on one of the bread pieces, then spread some potato fry add bit more cheese and top it off with another bread slice. Apply some oil on both sides of the bread and put it in the Sandwich maker. It will be done in two minutes or so.
- Making the Sandwich on a stovetop – Apply some oil on the pan, place the assembled bread and put a heavy pan/skillet on top of the bread. The heavy skillet helps the potato, cheese and bread to stick together. Cook for a minute, flip to the other side and repeat.
Serve the Potato Sandwich with Ketchup. If packing for lunch box- Cool the Sandwich a bit and then wrap it in an aluminium foil. That way the sandwich doesn’t get soggy.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9am to 2pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.