Vegan Key Lime Cake Recipe
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on December 1, 2021
This richly flavoured vegan key lime cake is ideal for a birthday or any special occasion. Light and fluffy key lime cake smothered in velvety key lime frosting.
- 1 and ¾ cups All-Purpose Flour (220g)
- 1 cup White Granulated Sugar (200g)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅓ cup Key Lime Juice (80ml)
- ⅔ cup Soy Milk (160ml) or other non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil (80ml)
- 1 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Green Food Coloring (optional)
For the Key Lime Frosting:
- ½ cup Vegan Butter (112g)
- 3 and ¾ cups Powdered Sugar (450g)
- ½ tsp Green Food Coloring optional
- -3 Tbsp Key Lime Juice
- Lime Zest from 1 small lime
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray two 7 inch round cake pans* with non-stick spray and cut out circles of parchment paper for the bottoms of the pans.
Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix together.
Add lime juice, soy milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and green food colouring (if using) and mix into a batter. Don’t overmix.
Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and place it into the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the centre of one of the cakes. If the toothpick comes out clean, it’s ready.
Transfer the cakes from the cake pans to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, food colouring (if using) and 2 tablespoons of lime juice to the bowl of your stand mixer and beginning on low speed, gradually increase speed until your frosting is smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick, add the remaining tablespoon of lime juice slowly until you reach the right consistency.
Frost the cakes and decorate with lime zest.
- Key limes. If you can’t get key limes, you can use regular limes.
- 6-inch. This cake can also be made as a three-layer 6-inch cake. Bake for 20 minutes.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9 am to 2 pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.