TWO INGREDIENT HOMEMADE CARPET FRESHENER RECIPE
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on February 18, 2022
Carpet refreshers are great because they are a dry solution you sprinkle on carpets. You don’t have to wait for anything to dry like a carpet cleaning solution, so it is really fast! You just need to gather some supplies which we have listed below for you. Then, follow the simple directions. That’s it!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR AN ALL-NATURAL CARPET FRESHENER:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 3 or 4 lavender based tea bags (herbal or black tea)
- Jar with lid (I like to use ones with this type of lid)
- Shaker (Optional,
DIRECTIONS FOR DIY CARPET FRESHENER:
- Cut open the lavender tea bags and set them aside.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to your jar, then top with the loose tea inside of the tea bags.
- Stir it around until everything is evenly distributed.
- Store in the jar with a lid to keep everything fresh.
TO APPLY TO CARPET:
- If you want to add in a few tablespoons to a shaker jar, like this one, feel free to do so. Or just take a spoon and dust over the carpeted area you want to freshen up. It doesn’t have to be perfect, and it’s okay if you don’t get an even coat.
- Let it sit for just a few minutes to soak up odours.
- Vacuum up like you normally would any carpet powder.
P.S- This also freshens the vacuum cleaner, eliminating odours. It doesn’t harm vacuum at all, I have been using it for many years.
CHEMIST TIPS ON CREATING A DIY CARPET DEODORIZING POWDER THAT ACTUALLY WORKS!
This deodorizing powder not only freshens your carpet but can help eliminate odours too. There is a good reason why these simple two-ingredient combinations work. All based on science! I know readers love to hear WHY we use the items we use in each homemade solution like this. So, I will share the fun chemistry behind the scenes.
Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda, is such a versatile tool for the home.
When it comes to odour elimination, baking soda is one of the best household options. Since it is a salt, it has the power to absorb odour, dirt, liquid, and anything else that may linger in things like carpet fibres. One of the neatest things is seeing how well it works in this homemade carpet cleaner. It soaks up stains along with the vinegar which releases carbon dioxide and breaks up the stain further.
For this recipe, the baking soda neutralizes the odours that sit deep into carpet fibres. If you have bought carpet powder from the store, most brands contain sodium bicarbonate.
CAN YOU USE BAKING SODA WITH A VACUUM CLEANER?
Yes, you can! I have used this solution for many years with this vacuum cleaner, and it is great. The only thing to be mindful of when vacuuming is wet solutions. This is why our DIY carpet cleaner recipe found here states to let the solution dry before vacuuming.
Teabags are a great way to make a homemade carpet freshener without essential oils. It is also one of the cheapest ways to get a group of herbs and dried flowers in one place is a teabag. It would be expensive to buy all the ingredients for such a small amount, so tea bags are a great option. Things like rose petals, lemon peel, and lavender have a wonderful scent but also help combat odours too.
These herbs also absorb dirt and grease that may be sitting in carpet fibres.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9 am to 2 pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.