Ghee Rice Recipe
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on May 5, 2023
Ghee rice is an aromatic and flavourful rice recipe that is made with basmati rice, desi ghee, whole spices, onions, cashews, and raisins. It is one of the most popular rice recipes made especially for celebratory feasts. This ghee rice recipe is also known as ney-choru recipe, nei choru, and ghee bhat.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 8 cashew (halves)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 2 pods cardamom
- 5 cloves
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 1 green chilli (slit)
- 1 cup basmati rice (soaked for 20 minutes)
- 2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, roast the cashews and raisins until they turn golden brown, and keep them aside.
- Saute the bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and pepper in a pressure cooker.
- Add onion, chilli (I don’t add it for my daughter), and saute until the onions turn golden brown. I sometimes add chopped vegetables like carrots, beans, and peas especially when I am preparing them for my daughter.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and roast it for a minute, add water, and 1 tsp salt, and allow it to pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Add the fried nuts and mix them well.
The ghee rice is ready to eat.