Rava Modak Recipe (Suji Modak)
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on September 22, 2023
The perfect rava modak recipe without the steaming method! Smooth, velvety outer layer made from semolina (suji) and milk then stuffed with coconut-jaggery sweet stuffing.
- ½ cup Coconut grated, Fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup Jaggery (Gur)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ½ tablespoon Khas khas (White poppy seeds)
- 4 Cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
For outer cover:
- ½ cup Sooji (rava or semolina) (fine verity)
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
– Take coconut and jaggery in a pan on medium heat. Mix and cook till it becomes thick and most of the moisture evaporates. It takes around 6-7 minutes.
– Now add poppy seeds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
– Turn off the stove, remove the stuffing to a plate and let it cool down.
Cooking outer dough:
– Take semolina in a pan and dry roast with stirring constantly till it starts to change the colour slightly. It takes around 7-8 minutes. Make sure not to burn or brown too much. Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
– In a saucepan, take water and milk. Add ghee and turn the heat on medium, let the mixture come to a boil.
– The roasted sooji and mix immediately. As soon as you mix, it will be like a thick paste.
– Keep stirring and cooking, within a few minutes it becomes thick and comes together like a dough. Remove it to a plate and let it cool to touch (warm)
Kneading the dough:
– As soon as you can handle the dough, start kneading and make a smooth yet tight dough ball.
– Do not let the mixture cool down otherwise it stays crumbly and does not get smooth. If you feel hot, dip your hand into the water and keep kneading.
Shaping the rava modak:
– Grease the modak mould using ghee. Keep it close. Take a small ball of dough and insert it into the mould from the bottom hole.
– Using your finger, press it tightly around the edges evenly and make a hollow centre. Fill the center with prepared stuffing.
– Now close the bottom part with a little dough and smooth it out. Make sure it is sealed properly and tightly.
– Now carefully open, unmould and arrange on the plate. Repeat the same.