Poosanikai Rasavangi Recipe is a Tamil Nadu Style Curry/gravy recipe made with Poosanikai or Ash Gourd along with a ground masala of coriander seeds, coconut and chana dal. Served best with Steamed Rice and your choice of Poriyal.
Did you know: Ash Gourd is rich in vitamins and minerals. Ash gourd is composed primarily of water (about 96%).
- 1 1/2 cups Vellai Poosanikai (Ash gourd/White Pumpkin), diced into cubes
- 1/4 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split)
- 2 tablespoons Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 20 grams of Tamarind, lemon sized
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- Salt, as per your taste
To roast and grind:
- 1/2 tablespoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/2 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut, grated
How to make Poosanikai Rasavangi Recipe – Ash Gourd Curry With Dal
- To begin making Poosanikai / Ash Gourd Rasavangi recipe, make sure to soak tamarind in some hot water.
- After 15 minutes, extract pulp from the soaked tamarind – keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add rinsed chana dal, moong dal, chopped ash gourd pieces, tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder and water. You can add 2 cups of water or enough water to make sure that all ingredients are submerged in the water.
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles and release the pressure naturally.
- In a pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and allow it to warm
- Once the oil is warm, add chana dal, urad dal, dry red chillies, and coriander seeds and roast until the spices turn aromatic and brown
- Finally, add the grated coconut and roast until golden brown. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Once the coconut and spices have cool, grind them into a fine powder in a mixer.
- Once the pressure cooker has released the pressure, open the lid and give it a good stir.
- Add the ground spices & coconut to the cooked ash gourd and dal mixture – Stir well.
- In a tadka pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to sputter.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add urad dal and curry leaves. Saute it until urad dal turns golden brown.
- Finally pour this tempering over the Ash Gourd Rasavangi and it is ready to be served.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9 am to 2 pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.