Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam Recipe (Spicy Okra Rice)
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on January 28, 2022
Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam or Bhindi Rice is a delicious South Indian Chettinad style preparation of the rice that is spicy, tangy and delicious.
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 10 Bhindi (Lady Finger/Okra) , cut into small dices
- 10 Shallots, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 pinch Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 10 Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt, to taste
How to make Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam Recipe (Spicy Okra Rice)
- To begin making the Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam Recipe (Spicy Okra Rice), we will first cook the okra along with the spices.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and heat the spoonful of oil on medium heat. Add the onions and the Vendakkai and salt to taste. Stir fry on low to medium heat until the okra (Vendakkai) is well cooked and roasted. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once the Vendakkai is well cooked, add the turmeric powder, curry leaves, cinnamon powder, black pepper powder, salt, thick tamarind paste and sauté the ladies fingers till it gets coated well with all the other ingredients.
- Now, in another pan, heat a teaspoon of oil. Add in the mustard seeds, channa dal and cashews. Allow them to crackle and get roasted until lightly browned. Add this to the Vendakkai mixture.
- Stir the seasoning well into the Vendakkai mixture. At this stage add in the cooked rice. Stir together all the ingredients until well combined. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
- Finally, turn off the heat and transfer the Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam to a serving bowl.
- Serve the delicious tangy and spicy Chettinad Vendakkai Saddam Recipe (Spicy Okra Rice) hot along with tomato-onion raita.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9am to 2pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.