CHICKEN BIRYANI RECIPE
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on May 18, 2022
Chicken Biryani is a savory chicken and rice dish that includes layers of chicken, rice, and aromatics that are steamed together to form a delicious mouth watering meal.
- Chicken, large pieces with bones: 1 kg
- Basmati Rice: 700 gms (4 cup measure)
- For Cooking Chicken: – Onions, sliced
- Ginger Garlic paste: 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes, sliced: 4 medium
- Green Chillies
- Coriander leaves, chopped: 1 cup
- Mint leaves, chopped: 1 cup
- Whisked curd/plain yoghurt: 1 cup
- Ready made Biryani Masala: 5 tbsp For Cooking Rice
- Green cardamom 4
- Cloves 4
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
- Salt 2 & 1/2 tablespoon
- Water to boil the rice: around 2.5 litres
- Mint leaves: around 10 – 15 leaves
- Clean & wash the chicken pieces. Drain the water or pat dry.
- Slice the onions and tomatoes. Slit 6 green chillies
- Chop 1 cup coriander leaves and 1 cup mint
- Whisk the yoghurt and set aside
- Wash & soak the Basmati Rice for 30 mins.
To cook the chicken:
– Heat 6 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the sliced onions.
– Fry on high heat for around 12 mins till the onions are light brown.
– Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
– Now add the chicken pieces, mix and fry on high heat for 2-3 mins.
– Add the readymade Biryani Masala, mix and fry on medium heat for 3 mins after adding a splash of water.
– Readymade Biryani Masala usually contains salt, hence salt is not added while cooking the chicken in this recipe. Do check if the biryani masala you are using has salt in it.
– Now add the sliced tomatoes, mix them well and cook on medium to low heat for 4-5 mins till soft.
– Keep the heat on low and add the whisked curd/yoghurt. Give a mix and then add the chopped coriander and mint leaves.
– Cook on low heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
– Cover & cook on low heat for around 20-25 mins till the chicken is tender. Remove lid after 10 mins, give a mix and close the lid again.
– Dry up any excess water to get a thick gravy.
Layering the rice and cooked chicken:
– Take a heavy bottom pan and spread half the cooked rice as the 1st layer.
– Now spread the cooked chicken with gravy on top of the rice uniformly as shown in the video.
– Next, spread the balance rice as the top layer.
– Sprinkle some mint leaves on top of the rice. Close the lid and cook on low heat for 7-8 mins.
– Allow it to rest for around 20 mins.
– Once you open the lid, mix the chicken and rice evenly.