Dal Nariyal Recipe – Lentils in Tangy Coconut Curry
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on May 13, 2022
Dal Nariyal Recipe is a delicious and spicy masoor dal curry which is cooked in freshly ground spices and tamarind water and chillies. It makes a perfect curry to go along with hot steamed rice topped with ghee.
- 3/4 cup Dal (Whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt, to taste
Ingredients to be ground to paste
- 1/3 Fresh coconut, grated
- 20 grams Tamarind
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
Ingredients for Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- Curry leaves
- Coconut milk
How to make Lentils in Tangy Coconut Curry
- To begin making the Recipe, we will first cook the dal in the pressure cooker. Place the dal in the pressure cooker, add salt, turmeric powder and 2-1/2 cups of water. Cover the cooker, place the weight on and pressure cook for a couple of whistles.
- After a couple of whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 4 minutes and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure cooker to rest until the pressure releases naturally. After the dal is cooked keep it aside.
- Our next step is to make the masala. In a small frying pan, dry roast the coriander seeds and red chillies until fragrant. Once roasted, allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, place the roasted coriander, red chillies, coconut, tamarind and garlic into a blender. Add a little warm water and grind to make a smooth masala paste.
- Add this masala, to the cooked dal mixture and bring the dal to a brisk boil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the Dal by adding coconut milk as the mixture can thicken when the masala is added. Make a gravy.
- Check the salt and spice levels and adjust them to suit your taste.
- The final step is to prepare the seasoning for the Dal. Heat a small tadka pan on medium heat; add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the garlic, red chillies and curry leaves and roast for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the seasoning over the dal and serve.
Source: Archana’s Kitchen