A flavoursome biryani recipe with the goodness of kathal (jackfruit) and the aroma of garlic, coriander, turmeric and garam masala.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup onion, grated
- 1 tsp garlic-ginger paste
- 1/2 kg kathal (jackfruit (peeled and deep-fried), sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1 cup rice (boiled to almost done)
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
How to Make Kathal Biryani
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- Saute and add the onions, and garlic-ginger paste.
- Saute till brown Add kathal, stir fry over low heat till done.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala, haldi, salt, chilli powder and green chillies.
- Cook, covered for about 5 minutes and mix in the lemon juice and half the Coriander. The water should be absorbed by now.
- Remove half the vegetables and layer with half the rice.
- Cover with the rest of the vegetable mixture and the rice again.
- Leave over low heat, covered for 10 minutes, and serve garnished with the coriander.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9 am to 2 pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.