Eggplant In Mustard Poppy Seed Yogurt Gravy Recipe
Written by Sneh Chaudhry on February 1, 2022
You must try this flavorful Bengali style, Brinjal Curry, where fried brinjal is simmered in mustard, poppy seeds and curd gravy. Serve with steamed rice or phulka for a complete meal.
- 1 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant), cut into 1/2 inch discs
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Mustard oil, as required
- 1 teaspoon Panch Phoran Masala
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the mustard seeds and poppy seeds in a little amount of water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and add the soaked mustard and poppy seeds in a mixer grinder, along with the green chillies. Add about a quarter cup of water and grind it into a smooth paste. Keep the mustard poppy seed paste aside.
- Rub eggplant discs on both sides with half of the turmeric, red chilli powder and salt.
- In a pan, add a little oil and when the oil is hot, lower the heat and shallow fry the brinjal rounds on each side for 2-3 minutes or till the round is light golden brown on both sides.
- Once cooked properly, place the fried brinjal rounds on an oil absorbent paper.
- Heat one tablespoon mustard oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add a teaspoon of panch phoran masala. Sauté on low heat for a few seconds till the seeds crackle.
- Once done add the mustard poppy seed paste, remaining turmeric, red chilli powder, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Whisk the curd and add to the masala. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add half a cup of water, salt to taste and bring the curry to a boil on medium heat. Lower the heat and add the fried brinjal rounds. Continue simmering on low heat for another 7-8 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Transfer Eggplant In Mustard Poppy Seed Yogurt Gravy into a serving bowl and serve.
- Serve Eggplant In Mustard Poppy Seed Yogurt Gravy Recipe with Steamed Rice Recipe or Phulka Recipe for lunch or dinner.
Stay tuned to Mahekta Aanchal from 9am to 2pm on Radio Sargam with your Show host Sneh Chaudhry on 103.4FM in Suva to Nausori Corridor, Central Division, Nadi, Lautoka & Labasa, 103.2FM in Sigatoka, Coral Coast, Ba, Vatukoula, Tavua & Savusavu and 103.8FM in Rakiraki.